Monday, April 03, 2006

Lola Rennt

Lola Rennt

poster_small

Heute war ich mit Cindy in der Bibliothek und haben wir disem film angesehen.
If anyone have been following me, I've already said that I'm making use of the time I left in school to watch a whole lot of German films and today I managed to catch another notable film that just calls for me to blog about.

Run Lola Run
It's quite an old film (1998) already, but it was still fun to watch. Me and Cindy had about less than 90min to kill after completing our Referat preparations so we decided to watch a film, and Lola Rennt was just about 80min long and fitted well into our schedule.

03042006331

I heard about this film way back but never got around watching it for reasons unknown to myself, though I'm seriously suspecting that it might be due to procrastination. It was really good going to watch a film you've always wanted to watch and come out feeling oh so good about it. Lola Rennt is a gem. Only 80min long, but filled with suspense, almost like a thrill ride, and lots of very modern funky editing. I've always preferred the long films (like over 130min long kinds) but Lola Rennt proved me totally wrong, short can be good, very good.

From the official website, the story goes like this.

"When we meet Manni (Moritz Bleibtreu), a small time courier for big time gangster, he is working a standard pick-up/drop-off, and everything is going just fine. When the job is done, all he has to do is wait for his girlfriend, the orange-haired punk girl Lola (Franka Potente), to pick him up. But today is unlike any other day. Due to an incident while she was buying a pack of cigarettes, Lola is late, and Lola is never late. One stroke of bad luck leads to another, and by the time Manni calls Lola, he is at a pay phone with a big, big, big problem. His unforgiving boss will meet him in twenty minutes to pick up 100,000 marks; money that Manni, suddenly, does not have.

Lola rushes out of her apartment and down the street, attempting to get to Manni and, somehow, pick up 100,000 marks on the way. She tears through the city, in a whirl of bums, nuns, babies and guns. Down sidewalks, into offices, through traffic and back again. As her feet slap the pavement and the seconds tick down, the tiniest choices become life altering (or ending) decisions, and the fine line between fate and fortune begins to blur."

Lola and Manni
fp_photomb_photo

The film is very fast paced, we follow Lola as she runs hence we can also feel the time running out, yet along with the fast paced feel, we also feel a certain groove, due to the soundtrack. This film has been touted as an MTV style of film, hence the techno soundtrack adds on to that new kind of funkiness. I browsed through the IMDb message boards and it seemed like this film has a rather mixed set of reviews. I'd compare this to possible V for Vendetta. I remember 8days gave it only two and a half stars, but (when I checked before I watched the movie) I knew from IMDb it was the 7.6, now the ratings has further increased to 8.2, higher than Lola Rennt's 8.1. I think Lola Rennt is the kind of film either you like it or you don't. Either you see the meaning behind it, or you don't. A lot depends on what you expect and what you conceive of a movie.

hmm... The screen shots look pretty nice huh? Think maybe I shall do one for myself~
Click here to see
I don't know why but flickr doesn't allow me to have that gif in small, and the big is too large to put it up, so if you want to see my (not so) brillant photoshopping skills, yea... You can click that~
I know I look a bit ugly, but well, who looks good in these kind of criminal photographs? lol~

Okay, enough of my camwhoring, back to the main topic on hand, Lola. Lola Rennt is a film filled with innuendos, and because everything is so fast, before we can even spot something, it's gone. What's left is what's left in our subconsciousness. The first run, okay, we see it. The second run, eh, there's something that the film's trying to tell me. The third run, is it that? Or is it not? That's the question dangling.

Lola Rennt also supercedes stereotyping. I think this is like the only time I've got so gripped over a film. There I was sitting in the multimedia cluster with Cindy and the both of us were almost shouting "Oh no!s" and "wah..." and when there were accidents, we both covered our ears and eyes and faces with our hands in shock. I don't know if it's an effect of the film, but I just felt so agitated that I became physical. Of course, the ending is also another superceding of stereotyping.

*spoilers ahead*

After watching Lola running three times and the first two time either killing herself or Manni, the third time we see more accidents involving her papa and Mr Meyer, we sort of expect that something was going to happen right at the very end. Especially after Manni gave his gun away, we know the ambulance was coming, we know that the mafia boss was coming, we were expecting either Lola or Manni was going to die, but that scene never materialised. I really thought that was cool. Giving away the gun seemed to be leading onto something, creating an air of anticipation, and we all anticipated to the very end to something that never came. Interesting play of human emotions and feelings.

On IMDb I gave it a perfect 10, but maybe the more accurate score should be in the 9.5 range for me. The only lackings was that that film was a 1998 film. Throughout the whole film I was greatly disturbed by this one thing. Lola's pants. It was high rised. I think maybe under the hindsight of today's fashion and my own personal preference, I don't really like pants that are too high cut. It makes the butt look big and I don't know I just find it quite offensive and not that pleasant to the eye. But that's only under hindsight. If I were watching it ago, I wouldn't have thought this way ba...

Next up on my DVD watching list in der Bibliothek, Das Wunder von Bern (Miracle of Bern).

No comments: