Saturday, February 03, 2007

Of Widows and Extramarital Affairs

(re-edit: it's neither Peiyi nor Cindy. it's the other person whom i used to go ktv with frequently, ya, used to go. oh well...)
(edit: a factual error, I went with Cindy to the KTV and not Peiyi as I previously thought. Paiseh Cindy~)

I caught the title of this song on someone's blog and the image of the song stucked in my mind. I dug it up from my song collection and have been playing it on repeat mode ever since. I first heard the song sometime back during a KTV trip with Cindy. I first said that I never heard that song before, but she said that I definitely have heard that song before but just that I can't remember the title to the song. After she started singing, the song sounded vaguely familiar. Indeed I've heard that song before.

The song didn't strike me much other that I liked it. Then recently, I saw in a blog that that person listed this song as his favourite song. Digging out the song to hear it again, and reading the lyrics as I sang along, there was a different feel to the song. Maybe it is also that I've grown over the times and now that I've experienced some other different things, I feel more for the song.

寡妇村传奇 The Legend of the Village of Widows
周华健 Emil Chau

你说天黑以后要来
我等到月升东山
月眉弯弯
情泪两行也湾湾
我盼伊人
望眼欲穿

你说天黑以后要来
我等到日升窗台
晨雾淡淡
情影俩行也单单
我盼伊人
万般心酸

你说天黑以后要来
我等到两鬓霜白
发丝斑斑
情泪也斑斑
你说天黑以后要来
我等到两鬓霜白
发丝斑斑
情泪俩行也斑斑
我盼伊人
万般心酸

你说天黑以后要来
我等到两鬓霜白
发丝斑斑
情泪也斑斑
你说天黑以后要来
我等到两鬓霜白
发丝斑斑
情泪两行也斑斑
我唯一人
转眼半百

你说天黑以后要来
我等到月升东山
月眉弯弯
情泪两行也湾湾
我盼伊人
望眼欲穿

你说天黑以后要来
我等待等待
伊人何在
与你的情
你的小孩
我唯一人
转眼半百

There are that sometimes, I feel that I'm not much different from a widow, just that I've no kid in tow. hai... But listening to this song gave a an inspiration of an image which can be expanded into a short story or a full length novel. That is if I get to putting down my ideas and images on paper. But if I write it, I might want to try out writing in Chinese. It's been a very long time since I wrote a full length thingie in Chinese. I seem to be becoming more competent in English to the extent of neglecting my Chinese.

Then, there's this other song which stuck in my mind after I happened to hear it on Shuffle. The interesting thing about shuffle is that once in a while, I'd get to hear songs I've forgotten but nevertheless really like a lot. This is one of the occasions.

I wrote about this song before.
Rendezvous

The whole image that this song attempts to project is the scenes from In the Mood for Love. The whole idea of them being married but deeply drawn to each other and yet nothing can come out of this relationship. I thought the lyrics also brought in another aspect not part of the film, the obsession with the ring and the fourth finger, and the wanting to end that affair.

Felt a lot about the song, especially the lyrics, and the wanting to end it all by 13 February.

夜会 Rendezvous
王菲 Faye Wong

只为那陌生戒指
重新打量你修长的手指
你送我的指纹
我欠你的心事
恐怕要在今夜
还给天使
喜悦出于巧合
眼泪何必固执
走完同一条街
回到两个世界
原谅你和你的无名指
你让我相信
还真有感情这回事
啊怀念都太奢侈
只好羡慕谁年少无知
二月十三号到此为止
霓虹灯奄奄一息
十二点钟即将成为历史
往事若无其事
关系也没关系
我们再来不及
重新认识
两个人的巧合
总有个人坚持
回到原来的路
住同一个城市

I was listening to the first song yesterday afternoon, and I mentioned in passing to the mother about it. I said it was a very nice song. It's about the story of a widow. The mother gave an awkward look at me and asked, why I listen to such depressing songs, the more depressing songs I listen to the more depressed I'll become.

But really, mentally, I've grown to be a lot stronger than a year ago. There are less emo posts, less emo outbreaks, things have more or less stabilised, and I've slowly come to accept things as it is and not to think too much.

Some time ago, a friend of mine who had relationship problems finally made the decision of a clean break. He had a long discussion with me and said it was finally time to let go. The period after letting go wasn't a totally happy period and other complications arose. Now that things are fine, I'm also happy for him. Recently, another friend who had a similar problem too came to this similar decision for a clean break. Before this, there were a few attempted breaks, but all fell apart. This time he sounded determined, but only time can tell.

Wish them luck. But let's not forget the girl in a much worse position than the men.
She made her decision too, even though...

No comments: