Friday, December 08, 2006

Five Hundred

wubai-header

In celebration of my 500th blog entry, this post shalled be dedicated to my most favourite singer/composer/lyricist/musician of all time. Welcoming Mr Wu Bai 伍佰 and his band China Blue and their latest album 纯真年代. It has taken me more than three years to reach this big five-oh-oh. I know, in terms of quantity, I'm still not up there along with those people who blog a few posts a day, but to me, I'm very satisfied with all the entries in this place I call the home of my heart. Sharing this wonderful occasion with such a wonderful person is such an wonderful feeling one can have, although the pun is a bit lame, but nevermind... hehehe~

To be honest, with Wubai's official website down after his release of the latest album, I wasn't kept up to date with his activities. In fact, I didn't even know about the release of this album until after a series of coincidental events. It just happened about a couple of days after the album was released, I was searching Baidu for Andy Lau's 《冰雨》. The search resulted in another song of the same title by Wubai. It listed the song as a song from the album 《纯真年代》. I can say that I'm very familiar with Wubai's discography and can list out all his album titles, especially those with all-original compositions, but I never heard of 《纯真年代》. At first I thought it might be a Hokkien album which I might have missed out in my memory because he just had a concert recently and there was no mention about a new album being slated and/or released.

A couple of days later, a friend casually asked me if I heard the latest Wubai song. With that about mentioned incident at the back of my head, I asked if the song was 《纯真年代》, affirmitive. Oh well... That answered that lingering question in the back of my head.

Naturally, after realising that my dear dear idol had released a new album, I just had to get my hands on it, don't I? I went down to Marine Parade after one of my exams. I thought perhaps Marine Parade with a couple of CD shops and its proximity to home, and also I needed to collect my contact lenses from my shuai shuai optician. But but but, the CD was all sold out. Schade. One of the shop assistants was like "the distributor didn't bring in many copies", "so all sold out already". Although I felt quite disappointed, I was also quite happy that all his albums were sold out, because it only meant that PEOPLE BOUGHT HIS ALBUM! HE HAS HIS STABLE OF FANS~

Anyway, I had to go down to bigger CD stores like HMV to get it, I decided. After another exam paper, I went down to Citylink Mall's HMV to get it. hehehe~ And I finally lay my hands on it.

Although I also finally did manage to get through his official website and saw his album, I didn't listen to the songs because I wanted to listen to it on my own player. Although I got a preview of his album cover from the world wide web, when I picked up his album with my bare hands, the first thing that struck me was that HE'S DAMN SHUAI. His latest haircut really suits him very well, I noticed this from his concert last September. And I think black really suits him very well~

The only thing that bogs me, how come the words for the title written for the album cover is in simplified Chinese. On the other hand, the words written in the background is in traditional Chinese. hmm... A bit weird, but I don't care, as long as Wubai is there and he's so shuai can already~

After buying the album, I sat at Mos Burger in Raffles CIty for a quick lunch while looking through the song booklet. Other than that he switched labels after the album 《泪桥》 and that his distributing team changed since then, his hasn't changed much of his other producing teams and/or marketing teams. His art direction was still done by Akibo Visual Studio, they never fail to amaze me with their album covers for Wubai, always make him look so shuai~

And as usual, every single song was produced by his Moonlight Music, and every song was written and composed by the man himself, and arranged and performed by him and his band. In fact, they were also featured in the song booklet too, and also in a couple of MTVs. I just went to sing KTV the other day and dedicated all the new Wubai songs to sing and also to watch the music video~ SHUAI!!!

For those who don't know, China Blue comprises bassist Hsiao Chu, or Ken and he's sometimes known as, keyboardist Da Mao, or Big Cat, and drums Dino Zavolta. Hsiao Chu is the one with long hair, often wears shades and a cap. Da Mao is the youngest, should be 33 this year. He's the smallest size and often sports shades, he's the only one I think I've never seen him without shades, only sometimes the shades are lighter though mostly darker shades. Dino is the biggest one, I think he's Latino though I never knew where he's from. It's amazing because when in concerts in Singapore, he always greets the audience in English. He also once sang back up vocals for Faye Wong, in her 《王菲》 album, the one with 《流年》 in it, Wubai and China Blue produced 《两个人的圣经》 which had this opera vocals in the background, Dino was the one who did it. I can't tell what language he sang but it sounded like a language from the Iberian peninsular.

Anyway, I personally feel that this album shows Wubai's growth in music making and music writing. Wubai has been into writing his own songs, composing his own music, having his band arrange the piece and them to perform it, and he produced the songs by himself. It's the kind of do-everything-himself kind of album. I have to give him credit for it, because he's the one who makes the final decisions and he can call his album his. Not everyone can do it. In fact, just check out those trash bubblegum pop singers and what they are selling, all marketed stuff. Even those so called music geniuses or 才子s, how many of them actually do their whole albums themselves? Not even Jay Chou lor.

The general direction of this album is one that mixes happy and sad together, there's a sort of progress in the songs, the first couple are all happy motivationals ones, while the later few are the more emotional songs. I don't know if the more emotional songs are what Wubai really likes because he has been quite disapproving of his more popular emotional songs, but well, I like them. His more happier songs are also not bad though, and he shows maturity in his lyrics, which is a really good thing. Music style is also quite varied, his last album was a bit too Techno-rock, noisy kind of stuff, the previous album was more transitional, and every song sounded like a title song. This album he brought back the simpler kind of music that is more heart tugging. A bit upset is that since 《流星》 in 《梦的河流》 he hasn't had any songs with voice overs. I liked those.

Now for the detailed introduction of the songs in this album...

Track 1
我只要…

你想开什么样的车子
你想住什么样的房子
你想穿什么样的衣服
你想要什么样的牌子
你想要用多久的坚持
换取心中理想的消逝
你想你是不是会觉悟
世界完全不照你意思
追寻着它若没有它就没意义
追寻着它若有了它也没意义
追寻的意义在于追寻那追寻
呼吸的快乐就是呼吸那呼吸
我只要和我相爱的人在一起
死心塌地
我知道我幻想的都不可以
没有关系
一生你吃多少条茄子
一次你要多大的面子
一辈子你想要有多少个孩子
一棵树要多少片叶子

This is a fast beat song with heavy drums and quite loud. Some parts of the lyrics might sound a bit 无厘头, but thinking about it closer, it feels like life is just like that. For an opening song, it brings up the energy level, but I don't know why, but I felt a tinge of disappointment. I think this can be classified as one of the new generation Wubai songs which I although don't find it bad, but I can't really appreciate it.

Track 2
纯真年代

现在你是不是一样感觉被伤害
所有的童话故事都已不再像昨天
关灯这样的日子依然没有改变
真心只有剩下一丁点
相信的意义正在那进出之间
心情的好坏变成来去无限
我也有想过是距离将它浓缩
时间变得紧迫
你觉得应不应该
抗拒莫以名状说不出来
隐藏在平静后面那份忍耐
我时常没有顾忌大声把它喊出来
这样又好像变成是谁的错
轻松我看着天空
明明就很沉重何去何从
能回头我早回头
我还在等待什么
我要我要我要跳进水里面
那里有个永恒青春的小孩
寻找遗失已久纯真的年代
有没有下雪我干嘛感动
未来朦胧眼耳朦胧
你想我要什么
躲在里面我要很久不出来
纯真年代
像个小孩
ha ha ha

This is a light hearted sounding song, but using it as his title song, I think there's some meaning that Wubai wants to convey. Like 《白鸽》 which he listed as one of his favourite songs, it's one which has a motivational meaning behind it, but this song is much more lighter than 《白鸽》 so I think it also means a different thing, like a change in musical direction or style. Or maybe it's just a gimmick to evoke nostalgia.

Maybe after writing hundreds of songs for oneself and other people, there is a need to breakthrough. In terms of music and style, I can say that 《纯真年代》 in terms of music and composition, is really one breakthrough piece for Wubai. And best of it, it's a well-liked one. My friend asked me for the song because she liked it. hehehe~

Track 3
两个寂寞

一样的想我
一样到以后
是我窥见你的心
我不能说
触动了自我
用一样的温柔
晴雨交替的日子里
想陪你走
不能停止从你世界的滑落
明明知道你我是两个寂寞
相爱不能聚首爱情又是什么
没有你的日子我不好过
清清楚楚在面前是两条路
看着你我愈走愈远愈模糊
我们伸出了手却碰不到你我
我开始怀疑我心破了洞
想你是这么做
我猜的透
只能想像彼此的拥有
两个人的寂寞都保留

This is one of the typically Wubai kind of song. After listening to the first two songs, I was a bit afraid that this album would deviate too far from the typical Wubai, but luckily, there was this song to remind me of my familiarity. I like this kind of songs, sad and emotive. And it showcases the strength of his band~

Track 4
cherry lover

我对你动了情移了心
不经意的话都说不停
彼此间的空气没有动静
我在等你给我答应
你圆润的嘴角好似在笑
叫我可以继续往前跑
可是你说不好他你没忘掉
我心酸酸地在哀号
you are my cherry
cherry lover you have a chrry heart
you are my cherry cherry lover
好不好把他忘掉吧
我想你的时候像小河流
心弯弯地泪都快要流
你想我的时候像暴风过
每一通电话都讲很久
想恨你的时候都不敢做
如果没你日子怎么过
你讨厌我的时候却一直念我
其实酸酸地在说爱我
这不是个相逢游戏
追赶跑跳可惜了美丽
还好我有超强的勇气
但是我早不属于我自己
cherry 好好爱我
cherry 相爱不容易
请你给我个回答
让我当你的唯一吧

This is also one of the lighter songs which has a catchy tune and it stucked in my head after a couple of times listening to it. When I first saw the song booklet I was a bit surprised, I think it's like the first time Wubai incorporated English into his lyrics, at least as far as my punitive memory serves me. I usually do not like songs which has English lines because usually the English there only for gimmick purposes and sometimes the English just sucks. Think that stupid May Day song 《恋爱ing》, it's just totally disgusting. But well, this one isn't that bad, I guess. At least there's not fundamental errors.

Track 5
海市蜃楼

墙上画雨点朵朵
风中沙卿卿我我
绿洲的树都烧了火
我的眼睛看不到我
救救我轻轻说
我不是在一个海市蜃楼
眼前的恐慌就是生活
没听错
用言语将我抹去
飘回我应有的大地
眼前的混乱就是生活
别胡说
飘回我应有大地
没听错别胡说
救救我救救我

This can be categorised as one of the same kind of songs like his 《海浪》 from the album 《泪桥》. I think it's sort of some kind of style which he stretches the notes of each word but the background music is very fast paced and noisy. I don't really like it although the chorus doesn't sound that bad, but I guess it's a kind of personal preference.

Track 6
冰雨

天空的雾气已开始在累积
心中的顾虑也慢慢消失去
我来的时候受过风的折磨
你说你要走你已经消瘦
相同结果相同理由
早就已经发生过
不同的我可以接受
注定面对生命安排
站在最远孤独的角落
这个时候开始下起冰冷冷的雨
落在身上却感不到一丝丝凉意
美丽的人儿呀我就要消失去
不要问我为何总有眼泪的痕迹

Another one of those typically Wubai songs, and I love it~ I don't know if it's the lyrics or the melody, or is it the combination of the lyrics and the melody. It's so sad and emotive that I can just feel for the song, the lyrics are also so well written that I can picture the scene out there. I sang that song in the KTV the other day, it's so nice to sing also~

My sister though was a bit skeptical. She didn't like Wubai refering people as 人儿, but I'm okay with it, it sounds okay mah~ hehehe... But I really like the part which says 这个时候开始下起冰冷冷的雨/落在身上却感不到一丝丝凉意, it's so sad... I don't know why but this songs reminds me a bit of 《泪桥》. Maybe it's the feeling, also a bit of the melody, but the music arrangement for 《泪桥》 has more keyboards in it.

Track 7
彩虹

慢慢掉下来
满天的棉絮飘在我俩中间
我看着你一闪闪的不见
是微风吹进我屏息的眼
慢慢走过来
移动的树都转到我的背面
将我遗忘那无声的夏天
要回忆起我必须再一遍
光线的尘埃
急促的舞动关于你的形容
若下起雨它变成了彩虹
若我哭泣它飞上了天空
有时候我会想起你
想起你我心颤抖不已
你现在好吗没有我好吗
还是你已经有了另一个家
有时候我想忘了你
那必须将我自己一起抽离
没有痕迹的脚步
我才会变孤独
将你挂起来
你是我心中的温柔的弧线
是阳光穿透水滴的美艳
我坚信不是偶然的相逢
七色彩虹

This song reminds me of 《夏夜晚风》, very simple in music, but yet very touching. In fact, this reminded me so much of 《夏夜晚风》 that I recommended it to a friend who likes 《夏夜晚风》 and she really did like this song too. It's just the keyboards and a bit of the guitar. I really like Da Mao's keyboards. Ever since 《泪桥》, I fell in love with Da Mao, and after seeing him perform 《夏夜晚风》 in the concert I further sustained my conviction.

But personally, I don't really like songs that are too slow, not say don't like, but I prefer other kinds of songs ba...

Track 8
不过是爱上你

难道爱就这么沉重
以为它像轻飘飘的解脱
旋转木马情节的小说
总在华丽的瞬间从头
难道情就是这么迷惑
以为它像你纤细的指头
划过了我屏息的眼眸
怎会变成我需要去挣脱
不过是爱上你
不过想在一起
在一起不分离
猛烈的冲撞就封住了心窝
本来我就是一个人来
也习惯一个人
又何苦你要给我那样的吻
或者我醒来也不该当真
你偷走我的灵魂
你不是纯粹那么隆重
是他安排的人
我现在一直对自己这样否认
绝对我不能当作没发生
是谁在暗地里说

I'd consider this as a typical Wubai song, but there's a little twist to the ever-familiar kind of melody. I love this song. This can be considered my most favourite song in the album, although I also love other songs too, but this lyrics also tugs my heart. One thing interesting, in the line 是他安排的人, the traditional Chinese words write the 他 as the God the 他, not this normal 他. Okay, maybe not God as God, but as some superior being, or some force of come kind.

This music video was also very nice. There's this girl fraternising with Wubai. I was so damn jealous lor... If only I can be that girl there fraternising with him, I'd give anything sia. I sang this song twice in the KTV the other day.

Track 9
一个梦

一种声音一首歌曲
一个日子一段回忆
一段恋情一段友谊
还有一个我一个你
慢慢陷入全都付出
就像跳入深深海底
真情的海今生的债
我在期待什么结局
云压下来雨泼过来
渴望躺在你的怀里
安慰我吧还来得及
为了一个梦我心底
就在我惊乱发狂胡言说话
是否你将那玫瑰
别在我俩的秘密
哦……
带着珍惜我要远离
到那天涯没有消息
再见过去如此而已
ba la……

This is the kind of motivational song, but I don't know why it doesn't really touch me much. Maybe because it reminds me of Emil Chau's 《朋友》, don't know why I thought of that, but there's this sense of nostalgia in the song that the singers wants to evoke but although I'm old, I'm still not old enough to appreciate nostalgia, I guess.

Track 10
秘恋

静静躲在什么的后面
讲着一些天国语言
明明就是一定有什么
发生你们两个之间
没发现我都看那边
装做都看不见
wu wu
就是会有奇怪的笑脸
收起在我转身以前
电话响起你就故意
一直跑到离我很远
根本都不想埋怨
喔~秘恋
就在我身边
贴着我的脸
是否只是你的对我考验
那只是耀眼
告诉我一点
我已准备好了面对面
你就是我生活的终点
我知道这样非常讨厌
所以我也不要很明显
让你知道我心被恋
慢慢的一整天
喔…我是真的爱着你
为你(为你)怎样都可以
告诉我(告诉我)是我想太多
你(你)还是要爱我

A bit light hearted, a bit 无厘头, but I don't really like this kind of love songs. It's not sad, not really that happy, doesn't really evoke much feelings from me. Maybe I'm the kind who prefer tragic or some more emotive kind of song. Or maybe I'm just jealous. lol~ When listening to this song, an image of his wife just popped up in my mind. ahh... Those wives, can't stand them, but well, have to accept them, but I can still be jealous what. Sometimes really can't stand myself for thinking like that, but what to do, can't think of anything else in a situation like this mah.

Track 11
你是我的花朵

留心脚步看得清楚
有很多可疑的因素
呼喊你让你糊涂
考验我爱的程度
高楼电梯霓虹深处
舞动在人群很拘束
拉着我不要飘走
我在你背后挡风
喔你是我的花朵
我要拥有你插在我心窝
我要保护你一路都畅通
就算你身边很多小石头
我要爱着你不眠也不休
不管你心充满多少困惑
我绝对不会对爱你放松
你是我所有快乐源头
我和你将会到达那开心乐园

When I first heard this I thought it reminded me of Cherry Lover, just that with a bit of Techno infused in it. Then I watched the music video. I changed my mind totally. This is not Techno, this is called Retro. lol~ Must go watch the music video, it's so retro that it's sort of cute. In the music video, Wubai and China Blue attempted to dance, imagine the kind of crappy agogo dance. hahaha~ The design of the title in the MTV was also the kind of Retro kind of font. Then there was the image of the flower, very Retro like. The use of colours too~ hahaha~

After watching the music video, my whole idea of the song changed a lot. I didn't really think much of it previously, but now hearing it, it's quite cute~ hehehe... A kind of whole new image change for Wubai for this song.

Track 12
一千万个理由

站在那风吹的角落
嘲笑风儿的浅薄
世界如此的辽阔
为何只对我诉说
又不是情话慢慢说
要是细语我会懂
过去我是答应过
难道我们要哀愁
静静的捂上我耳朵
不要徘徊我身后
我都已经在漂流
难道你没有出口
我有一千万个理由
证明爱你的是我
关于那天我的远走
有个拉长的漩涡
爱你爱你的是我
离开那爱你的漩涡
等待风儿的放手

The style of the music for this song is a bit like 《彩虹》, simple, with the guitar and the keyboards, but very much sadder. The drums and bass comes in later just as the song goes into the chorus, and it just sounds so sad, the whole combination and the slow pace of the melody. This is the kind of song which is so sad, that it can lower one's spirit as long as one thinks of the song. *sigh*

Track 13
翻白

想要问问你你心在哪里
是否被月亮吃掉了
银色的月光翻白了夜空
闪亮的河水晃晃动
白色的夜空听不到你那
甜温的声音难过了
喘息的律动浮沉的光波
拉出我爱你的初衷
呼吸停止的时刻
翻出感情的颜色
清澈的透明伸长了树影
我的渴望就像月光流

This is a nice parting song, and it continues with a bit of Retro feel to it. The lyrics reminds me of Faye Wong's 《无常》 because of the use of the scenery and also the mood of the person when describing the scenery. But the melody and the music for both songs are vastly different.

On the whole, this album doesn't disappoint. I know I can't ask for an album filled with all his emotive sad songs, because that's not him and I don't think I can tahan the emotional strain if I've like so many of those kind of songs in one album. Another thing I like is that there is so many songs in the album~ hehehe... Wubai's albums usually have more than 10 songs, usually about 12, maybe also due to him not producing an album that often compared to those young upstarts so having more songs is nice. And the most important good thing, unlike 《泪桥》, this is not a copy control CD, so I can rip it and upload it into my handphone in mp3 format~ yay~ It's so sad of 《泪桥》 that I don't have any mp3s of any song in that album, and I cannot listen to the song outside my house.

Please people, buy the album and support Wu Bai and China Blue okie~


That's Hsiao Chu, Dino, and Da Mao blurred in the background~

No comments: